Find current and past years downloadable Forms, Instructions and Publications in PDF format.
Find help and resources to answer questions on IRS tax topics.
How health coverage affects your 2014 federal income tax return.
The IRS now uses social media tools to share the latest information on tax changes, initiatives, products and services.
- Tax Season Opens As Planned Following Extenders Legislation
IR-2014-119, Dec. 29, 2014 — Following the passage of the extenders legislation, the IRS announced it anticipates opening the 2015 filing season as scheduled in January.
- IRS and Treasury Select an Issue for Industry Issue Resolution Program
IR-2014-118, Dec. 23, 2014 — The IRS and the Treasury Department announced that they have accepted a request for guidance under the IRS’ Industry Issue Resolution (IIR) program regarding the capitalization rules as used by restaurants.
- Tax-Free Transfers to Charity Renewed For IRA Owners 70½ or Older; Rollovers This Month Can Still Count For 2014
IR-2014-117, Dec. 23, 2014 — Certain owners of individual retirement arrangements (IRAs) have a limited time to make tax-free transfers to eligible charities and have them count for tax-year 2014, the IRS said.
- IRS, National Tax Groups Offer Help Selecting a Tax Preparer; Tips, New Web Page Unveiled
IR-2014-116, Dec. 18, 2014 — The IRS joined with national tax organizations to provide people with new options to get information and tips on selecting tax professionals and avoiding unscrupulous preparers.
- Post-Appeals Mediation For Offers in Compromise Available Nationwide
IR-2014-115, Dec. 12, 2014 — The IRS released a revenue procedure providing rules for the nationwide rollout of post-Appeals mediation for Offer in Compromise and Trust Fund Recovery Penalty cases.
- New Standard Mileage Rates Now Available; Business Rate to Rise in 2015
IR-2014-114, Dec. 10, 2014 — The IRS today issued the 2015 optional standard mileage rates used to calculate the deductible costs of operating an automobile for business, charitable, medical or moving purposes.
- Deadline Nears for Return Preparers to Qualify for New IRS Program
IR-2014-113, Dec. 9, 2014 — The IRS has begun issuing Records of Completion to tax return preparers who have met the requirements of a new voluntary program designed to help taxpayers determine return preparer qualifications in 2015.
- Most Retirees Need to Take Required Retirement Plan Distributions by Dec. 31
IR-2014-112, Dec. 8, 2014 — The IRS reminded taxpayers born before July 1, 1944, that they generally must receive payments from their individual retirement arrangements and workplace retirement plans by Dec. 31.
- Interest Rates Remain the Same for the First Quarter of 2015
IR-2014-111, Dec. 4, 2014 – The IRS today announced that interest rates will remain the same for the calendar quarter beginning Jan. 1, 2015.
- Tips from IRS for Year-End Gifts to Charity
IR-2014-110, Nov. 25, 2014 ― The IRS today reminded individuals and businesses making year-end gifts to charity that several important tax law provisions have taken effect in recent years.
- The Internal Revenue Service Advisory Council (IRSAC) Releases 2014 Annual Report
IR-2014-109, Nov. 19, 2014 — The IRS Advisory Council held its annual public meeting today and released its annual report, which includes recommendations on a wide range of tax administration issues.
- IRS Announces New Members for ETAAC
IR-2014-108, Nov. 17, 2014 — The IRS today announced the selection of three new members and a chairman to the Electronic Tax Administration Advisory Committee.
- IRS Clarifies Application of One-Per-Year Limit on IRA Rollovers, Allows Owners of Multiple IRAs a Fresh Start in 2015
IR-2014-107, Nov. 10, 2014 — IRS provides guidance on one-per-year rollover limit to owners of multiple IRAs.
- IRS To Realign Compliance Operations
The IRS realigned its tax compliance organizations serving individual and small business taxpayers as planned.
- Plan Now to Get Full Benefit of Saver’s Credit; Tax Credit Helps Low- and Moderate-Income Workers Save for Retirement
IR-2014-106, Nov. 3, 2014 — Low- and moderate-income workers can take steps now to save for retirement and earn a special tax credit in 2014 and years ahead, according to the IRS.
- Scam Phone Calls Continue; IRS Unveils New Video to Warn Taxpayers
IR-2014-105, Oct. 31, 2014 — As incidents of an aggressive telephone scam continue across the country, the IRS unveiled a new YouTube video with a renewed warning to taxpayers not to be fooled by imposters posing as tax agency representatives.
- In 2015, Various Tax Benefits Increase Due to Inflation Adjustments
IR-2014-104, Oct. 30, 2014 — For tax year 2015, the IRS announced today annual inflation adjustments for more than 40 tax provisions, including the tax rate schedules, and other tax changes.
- Information Reporting Program Advisory Committee Issues Annual Report
IR-2014-103, Oct. 29, 2014 ― The Information Reporting Program Advisory Committee (IRPAC) today issued its annual report for 2014, including numerous recommendations to the Internal Revenue Service on new and continuing tax administration issues.
- IRS Announces Tax Guidance Related to Ebola Outbreak in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone
IR-2014-102, Oct. 29, 2014 — The Internal Revenue Service today issued two items of guidance in response to the need for charitable and other relief due to the Ebola outbreak in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
- IRS Provides Information about the Affordable Care Act in Spanish
IR-2014-101, Oct. 28, 2014 — The IRS has several options for Spanish speakers to get information about the tax provisions of the Affordable Care Act.
- 2015 PTIN Renewal Period Underway for Tax Professionals
IR-2014-100, Oct. 27, 2014 — The IRS today reminded the nation’s more than 690,000 federal tax return preparers that they must renew their Preparer Tax Identification Numbers (PTINs) for 2015.
- IRS Announces 2015 Pension Plan Limitations; Taxpayers May Contribute up to $18,000 to their 401(k) plans in 2015
IR-2014-99, Oct. 23, 2014 — The IRS today announced cost‑of‑living adjustments affecting dollar limitations for pension plans and other retirement-related items for tax year 2015.
- Business E-File Jumps 10 Percent This Year; Doubles in 4 Years; 7 in 10 Corporate and Partnership Tax Returns Now Filed Electronically
IR-2014-98, Oct. 9, 2014 — Most corporations and partnerships are e-filing their tax returns; e-fiilng by these businesses increased by almost 10 percent from 2013 to 2014.
- IRS Simplifies Procedures for Favorable Tax Treatment on Canadian Retirement Plans and Annual Reporting Requirements
IR-2014-97, Oct. 7, 2014 ― The IRS made it easier for taxpayers who hold interests in either of two popular Canadian retirement plans to get favorable U.S. tax treatment and took additional steps to simplify procedures for U.S. taxpayers with these plans.
- IRS Seeks Applications for Advisory Committee for the Tax Exempt and Government Entities Division
IR-2014-96, Oct. 2, 2014 ― The IRS is seeking applications for vacancies on the Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities (ACT).
- Online Seminars from the 2014 IRS Nationwide Tax Forums are Now Available
IR-2014-95, Oct. 1, 2014 — Tax professionals can earn continuing professional education (CPE) credits online from IRS tax forums.
- Drought-Stricken Farmers and Ranchers Have More Time to Replace Livestock; 30 States Affected
IR-2014-94, Sept. 30, 2014 — Farmers and ranchers who previously were forced to sell livestock due to drought have an extended period of time in which to replace the livestock and defer tax on any gains from the forced sales, the IRS announced.
- Tax-filing and Payment Extensions Expire Oct. 15; Check Eligibility for Overlooked Tax Benefits; Choose E-file; E-pay with New Direct Pay
IR-2014-93, Sept. 30, 2014 — The IRS today urged taxpayers whose tax-filing extension runs out on Oct. 15 to double check their returns for often-overlooked tax benefits and then file their returns electronically using IRS e-file or the Free File system.
- IRS Warns Financial Institutions of Scams Designed to Steal FATCA-Related Account Data
IR-2014-92, Sept. 24, 2014 — The IRS today issued a fraud alert for international financial institutions complying with FATCA about scammers posing as the IRS who solicit financial institutions seeking account holder identity and financial account information.
- Notice 2014-52, Rules Regarding Inversions and Related Transactions
Notice 2014-52 describes regulations that the IRS and Treasury Department intend to issue with respect to inversion transactions.
- New YouTube Video Discusses Taxpayer Bill of Rights
IR-2014-91, Sept. 15, 2014 ― The IRS released a new YouTube video encouraging taxpayers to learn about the Taxpayer Bill of Rights.
- Back-to-School Reminder for Parents and Students: Check Out College Tax Credits for 2014 and Years Ahead
IR-2014-90, Sept. 15, 2014 ― The IRS reminded parents and students that now is a good time to see if they will qualify for either of two college tax credits or any of several other education-related tax benefits when they file their 2014 federal income tax returns.
- Tax Relief for Victims of Terrorist Attacks
The Victims of Terrorism Tax Relief Act of 2001 provides tax relief for victims and survivors of terrorist attacks. To benefit, taxpayers must use the following guidelines and time frames set by law.
- New YouTube Videos Provide Tips on Health Care, Tax Returns
IR-2014-87, Sept. 8, 2014 – the IRS announced the availability of several new YouTube videos to help taxpayers get important information about the Affordable Care Act and tax return filing.
- Interest Rates Remain the Same for the Fourth Quarter of 2014
IR-2014-86, Sept. 3, 2014 — IRS announces interest rates for the final quarter of 2014.
- Scam Phone Calls Continue; IRS Identifies Five Easy Ways to Spot Suspicious Calls
IR-2014-84, Aug. 28, 2014 — The IRS issued a consumer alert today providing taxpayers with additional tips to protect themselves from telephone scam artists calling and pretending to be with the IRS.
- IRS Repeats Warning about Phone Scams
IR-2014-81, Aug. 13, 2014 — The IRS and TIGTA continue to hear from taxpayers who have received unsolicited calls from individuals demanding payment while fraudulently claiming to be from the IRS.
- IRS “Taxpayer Bill of Rights” Now Available in 6 Languages; 10 Key Rights Outlined in Updated Publication 1
IR-2014-80, Aug. 12, 2014 ― The IRS announced today that its cornerstone “Taxpayer Bill of Rights“ document is now available in six languages.
- Statement on Health Coverage Information Reporting by Employers
July 24, 2014 — The IRS has issued a statement on draft forms that will be used by employers to report employee health coverage.
- New 1023-EZ Form Makes Applying for 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Status Easier; Most Charities Qualify
IR-2014-77, July 1, 2014 — The IRS today introduced a new, shorter application form to help small charities apply for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status more easily.
- Unused ITINS to Expire After Five Years; New Uniform Policy Eases Burden on Taxpayers, Protects ITIN Integrity
IR-2014-76, June 30, 2014 — Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) will expire if not used on a federal income tax return for any year during a period of five consecutive years, the IRS announced. To give all interested parties time to adjust and allow the IRS to reprogram its systems, the IRS will not begin deactivating ITINs until 2016.
- Commissioner Koskinen on the Voluntary Return Preparer Education Program
June 26, 2014 — Commissioner John Koskinen delivers remarks to the press on the new Voluntary Return Preparer Education Program.
- New IRS Filing Season Program Unveiled for Tax Return Preparers
IR-2014-75, June 26, 2014 — The IRS announced that guidance will soon be issued outlining a new voluntary program designed to encourage education and filing season readiness for paid tax return preparers.
- Statement of IRS Commissioner John Koskinen
June 18, 2014 — Commissioner Koskinen announces a number of changes to the IRS offshore account compliance program that should lead to a significant increase in the number of U.S. taxpayers coming forward to report on undisclosed foreign accounts.
- IRS Makes Changes to Offshore Programs; Revisions Ease Burden and Help More Taxpayers Come into Compliance
IR-2014-73, June 18, 2014 — The IRS announced today major changes in its offshore voluntary compliance programs, providing new options to help both taxpayers residing overseas and those residing in the U.S.
- IRS Statement
June 14, 2014 — IRS issues a statement on an IRS letter to the Senate Finance Committee.
- IRS Adopts “Taxpayer Bill of Rights;” 10 Provisions to be Highlighted on IRS.gov, in Publication 1
IR-2014-72, June 10, 2014 ― The IRS announced the adoption of a “Taxpayer Bill of Rights” that will become a cornerstone document to provide the nation’s taxpayers with a better understanding of their rights.
- Prepare for Hurricanes, Natural Disasters by Safeguarding Tax Records
IR-2014-71, June 5, 2014 — With the start of hurricane season this week, the IRS encourages individuals and businesses to safeguard their records against natural disasters by taking a few simple steps.
- Prepared Remarks of Commissioner John A. Koskinen before the U.S. Council for International Business and OECD International Tax Conference
June 3, 2014 — Commissioner Koskinen speaks before the U.S. Council for International Business-OECD International Tax Conference in Washington, D.C.
- Interest Rates Remain the Same for the Third Quarter of 2014
IR-2014-70, June 2, 2014 — The interest rates for the quarter beginning July 1, 2014, remain the same as the prior quarter.
- Penalty Relief Pilot for Small Retirement Plans Begins in June
IR-2014-66, May 22, 2014 — The IRS will begin a one-year pilot program in June 2014 to help small businesses with retirement plans that owe penalties for not filing reporting documents. By filing current and prior-year forms during this pilot program, they can avoid penalties.
- IRS Update on the Proposed New Regulation on 501(c)(4) Organizations
May 22, 2014 — The IRS has issued an updated statement on the proposed new regulation governing political activity of section 501(c)(4) organizations.
- IRS and Free File Alliance Sign One-Year Renewal of Partnership
IR-2014-64, May 21, 2014 — IRS and the Free File Alliance have signed a one-year extension for their partnership making free tax software available to taxpayers.
- Low Income Taxpayer Clinic Grant Recipients Announced
IR-2014-61, May 5, 2014 — The IRS awarded nearly $10 million in matching grants to Low Income Taxpayer Clinics for the 2014 grant year.
- IRS Reiterates Warning of Pervasive Telephone Scam
IR-2014-53, April 14, 2014 — As the 2014 filing season nears an end, the IRS today issued another strong warning for consumers to guard against sophisticated and aggressive phone scams targeting taxpayers, including recent immigrants, as reported incidents of this crime continue to rise nationwide.
- IRS Reminds Those with Foreign Assets of U.S. Tax Obligations
IR-2014-52, April 11, 2014 — The IRS reminds U.S. citizens and resident aliens, including those with dual citizenship who have lived or worked abroad during all or part of 2013, that they may have a U.S. tax liability and a filing requirement in 2014.
- IRS Debunks Frivolous Tax Arguments
IR-2014-51, April 11, 2014 — The IRS today released the 2014 version of “The Truth about Frivolous Tax Arguments,” which describes and responds to some of the common frivolous tax arguments made by those who oppose compliance with federal tax laws.
- IRS Intensifies Work on Identity Theft and Refund Fraud; Criminal Investigation Enforcement Actions Underway Across the Nation
IR-2014-50, April 10, 2014 — As the April 15 tax deadline approaches, the IRS announced today it has started more than 200 new investigations this filing season into identity theft and refund fraud schemes.
- IRS Statement on “Heartbleed” and Filing Season
April 9, 2014 — The IRS has issued a statement on the “Heartbleed” security flaw. Our systems continue operating and are not affected by this bug.
- IRS Virtual Currency Guidance : Virtual Currency Is Treated as Property for U.S. Federal Tax Purposes; General Rules for Property Transactions Apply
IR-2014-36, March. 25, 2014 — Virtual currency is treated as property for U.S. Federal tax purposes; general rules for property transactions apply.
- IRS Statement on Data Security Employee Issue
March 18, 2014 — The IRS today issued a statement on a data security employee issue.
- Statement by IRS Commissioner John Koskinen on The Fiscal Year 2015 Budget
IRS Commissioner’s statement on the Fiscal Year 2015 Budget proposal.
- IRS Offers Health Care Tax Tips to Help Individuals Understand Tax Provisions in the Affordable Care Act
IR-2014-19, Feb. 25, 2014 – IRS is offering educational Health Care Tax Tips to help individuals understand how the Affordable Care Act may affect their taxes.
- IRS Criminal Investigation Combats Identity Theft Refund Fraud
FS-2014-3, January 2014 — The IRS has seen a significant increase in refund fraud that involves identity thieves who file false claims for refunds by stealing and using someone’s Social Security number. The investigative work done by Criminal Investigation is a major component of the IRS’s efforts to combat tax-related identity theft.
- Tips for Taxpayers, Victims about Identity Theft and Tax Returns
FS-2014-2, January 2014 — Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes nationwide, and refund fraud caused by identity theft is one of the biggest challenges facing the IRS. In 2014, the IRS continues to take new steps and strong actions to protect taxpayers and help victims of identity theft and refund fraud.
- IRS Combats Identity Theft and Refund Fraud on Many Fronts
FS-2014-1, January 2014 — Stopping identity theft and refund fraud is a top priority for the IRS. The agency’s work on identity theft and refund fraud continues to grow, touching nearly every part of the organization. For the 2014 filing season, the IRS has expanded these efforts to better protect taxpayers and help victims.
- Some IRS Assistance and Taxpayer Services Shift to Automated Resources
New Services Available for Taxpayers in 2014
- IRS Warns of Pervasive Telephone Scam
IR-2013-84, Oct. 31, 2013 — The IRS warned consumers about a sophisticated phone scam targeting taxpayers, including recent immigrants.
- IRS Opens Online FATCA Registration System
IR-2013-69, Aug. 19, 2013 — The IRS announced the opening of a new online registration system for financial institutions that need to register with the IRS under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA).
- Report Outlines Changes for IRS To Ensure Accountability, Chart a Path Forward; Immediate Actions, Next Steps Outlined
IR-2013-62, June 24, 2013 ― IRS Principal Deputy Commissioner Werfel issued a report outlining new actions and next steps to fix problems uncovered with the IRS’ review of tax-exempt applications and improve the wider processes and operations in place at the IRS.
- IRS Charts a Path Forward with Immediate Actions
The IRS is outlining new actions and next steps to fix problems uncovered with the IRS’ review of tax-exempt applications and improve the wider processes and operations in place at the IRS.
- Questions and Answers on 501(c) Organizations
May 15, 2013 — The IRS has received a variety of questions related to the exempt organization issues recently raised. The Q&As answer some basics on the issue.
- FAQs on New Payment Card Reporting Requirements
The IRS is providing special transitional relief to banks and other payment settlement entities required to begin reporting payment card and third-party network transactions on new Form 1099-K.
- The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009: Information Center
Update on the new economic stimulus legislation.
- Compliance & Enforcement News
A collection of recent news releases, statements and other items related to IRS compliance and enforcement efforts.
- Treasury, IRS Will Issue Proposed Guidance for Tax-Exempt Social Welfare Organizations
IR-2013-92, Nov. 26, 2013 — The Treasury Department and the IRS will issue initial guidance regarding qualification requirements for tax-exemption as a social welfare organization under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Treasury and IRS Announce That All Legal Same-Sex Marriages Will Be Recognized For Federal Tax Purposes; Ruling Provides Certainty, Benefits and Protections Under Federal Tax Law for Same-Sex Married Couples
IR-2013-72, Aug. 29, 2013 — Treasury and the IRS today ruled that same-sex couples, legally married in jurisdictions that recognize their marriages, will be treated as married for federal tax purposes.
- Fiscal Year 2013 Enforcement and Service Results
The Fiscal Year 2013 Enforcement and Service Results provide the dollars collected from the examination (audit) and collection functions of the IRS. The results also tally various taxpayer assistance program results.
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 29-Dec-2014